By Ruth Davis of Next Generation School of Barbering.
A free online training course made available through the Skills Connect Programme.
Starts April 26th 2021.
Pre-recorded theory and cutting classes for Steps 1 -12 on the Pivot Point LAB.
Other classes may be delivered online via Zoom.
In-person training in The Next Generation School of Barbering, 8 Lock Quay, Limerick City.
FREE for successful applicants. (All learners must fully commit and engage with the programme).
Eligibility criteria applies. See HERE to view the Skills Connect criteria, and below for course eligibility criteria.
Applicants will need to have a Level 2 Certificate in Barbering or equivalent, or shop floor experience in either hairdressing or barbering. They will need their own barbering equipment, and access to a computer and broadband in order to complete the course.
Candidates will be interviewed for evidence of education or work experience in advance of places being awarded. Any reasonable adjustments must be in place before starting the course.
The VTCT Level 3 Certificate in Barbering, and The Level 4 in Male Grooming (VRQ) are technical level qualifications that provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills to work as an employed and/or self-employed barber. Upon completion you will be able to work on hair combining a variety of different technical skills. This qualification is ideal for those who hold a hairdressing or barbering qualification and work in a commercial barbershop/salon.
- Level 3 Certificate in Barbering
There are 4 mandatory units in this study course:
- Award in Infection Prevention.
- Monitoring and maintaining Health and Safety Practices, Risk Management and Risk Assessments.
- Creatively cutting hair using a combination Advanced Cutting Techniques.
- Designing and creating a range of Facial Hair Shapes.
- Developing your research skills.
- Creating a ‘male themed collection’.
- Using a wide range of barbering techniques.
- Planing an event i.e. photo shoot, male catwalk show or DVD opportunity.
- Explaining the importance of planning, attention to detail and working to timescales.
- Producing an action plan and calculating project costs to produce your male hair style collection.
- Certificate of attendance for Facial Waxing in Male Grooming.
- Certificate of attendance for Hot Towel Shaving.
- Certificate of attendance for the Art of Colour.
Course Delivery and Examination
The course will begin with online learning through the Pivot Point LAB portal. Zoom classes may also take place if government restrictions do not allow for in-person training.
One day per week in The Next Generation School of Barbering, 10.30 am – 3.30 pm.
One day work experience.
- Infection Prevention (COVID-19).
- Cutting Facial Hair.
- Cutting Men’s Hair.
There are also knowledge questions to complete.
Upon completion of this course you will have developed your practical skills to an advanced level through a variety of techniques. You will be able to creatively cut men’s hair and you will have learned the intricate specialist work of cutting men’s facial hair. You will develop a sound knowledge of monitoring health and safety whilst working in the barbering industry. You will also develop a knowledge and understanding of the practical skills, which will allow you to develop these skills to a high level, enabling you to perform your own salon service.
- VTCT Level 3 Certificate in Barbering.
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Male Grooming.
About Ruth Davis
Ruth Davis proudly offers expert barber courses for beginners and advanced students. Ruth has worked in the industry for 18 years and began her career as a junior hairdresser. Ruth found a passion for barbering after numerous years of working and upskilling in the industry. She opened her own barbershop in Killaloe in 2014 and while upskilling further, Ruth found a new love – teaching, and thus the Next Generation School of Barbering was born in 2017. Next Generation School of Barbering is a VTCT Approved Training Centre offering Level 2,3 & 4 Certificates and Diplomas in Barbering. The School aims to provide the highest standards in education and training. As an aspiring barber and student at Next Generation, you will learn the best possible skills as Ruth teaches, motivates and inspires her students.
As of April 20th at 12.30pm
APPLICATIONS FOR THIS COURSE HAVE NOW CLOSED